Welcome to Cathy's Home Page
Who is Cathy these days? I'm a lawyer licensed in New York, New Jersey, and California ... I graduated from Boston University School of Law with my JD and my BA from UC Berkeley ... I also studied for a semester at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany ... I'm particularly interested in high-tech civil liberties ... I care very much about information technology and how it affects people's lives, but I'm concerned that legal policies and precedents are being very foolishly decided that are ultimately detrimental to society ... Aspects of the law I tend to focus on are Intellectual Property, First Amendment law, international law and jurisdictional questions, and communications policy, among other things ... What it all boils down to is that people use communication to bind themselves into society ... Society is therefore most healthy when that communication is freely permitted and freely available ...
It is my goal to use my training and credential as a lawyer to make a difference in this area ... If you'd like to employ me to such ends please see my resume ...
I also have begun to write regularly on these and other issues ... I currently publish many of my thoughts at my blog "Statements of Interest".
Last updated 2/17/08
- Friends and Family in Far-Flung Places, August 21, 2004
- One Night in Bangkok (and Three Days in Cambodia), June 8, 2004
- Silliest Roadtrip Ever, May 27, 2003
- French Summer 2002 (email)
- My 23rd birthday at Disneyland, April 1997 (written by my friend Sean Rouse)
- Roadtrip to a Cal football game at ASU, November 1996 (written by my friend Sean Rouse)
What I have written on Information Technology
- My report of the Netscape and Microsoft presentations of the future of their browsers as told to the Silicon Valley Web Guild, October 13, 1999.
- Diffusion of the Internet Among University Undergraduates, Sociology Senior thesis, University of California at Berkeley, Spring 1996
- On Regulating the Internet Spring 1995
- Information Superhighway Outlook Spring 1995
- On Distance Learning, Essay #1, Spring 1995
- On Distance Learning, Essay #2, Spring 1995
- On Distance Learning, Essay #3, Spring 1995
Other things I have written
- The Tour de France Explained July 9, 2005
- A Marxist Fairy Tale (a spoof), Fall 1995
- Les Six Animaux et Leur Amis (en Franšais), Fall 1995
- Calculus Advice Poem, 1992
- In the Mind of Michael Jordan, 1992
- Page 66 of My 100-page Biography..., 1991
- My "Wolfian Masterpiece", 1990
- Iran-Contra Nursery Rhyme, 1986
Things I've drawn
Did you google me? If so, I am NOT the Cathy Gellis who attended Star Wars premiers. I have seen Star Wars, and I kind of like it, but the Cathy Gellis mentioned as being at Star Wars premiers in articles as linked to by Google is someone else entirely. Also I do not have any connection with Virginia Tech.